Choosing Your Contractor, Trade Professional or Handyperson Requires Due Diligence

The fall season can be the busiest time for home renovations, so it’s often difficult to find an available and reputable contractor or tradesperson. However, homeowners should not compromise on the choice of the right person or crew to get the job done properly. When considering your project, determine what portions of the job require a contractor, a certified tradesperson or a handyperson. For example, an uncertified worker may be an ideal choice for basic construction and repairs in terms of availability, skill and cost. However, if your project involves structural, plumbing, electrical and/or HVAC (heating, ventilation & air conditioning) work, you should probably defer to the expertise of skilled trade workers or a general contractor, even if they are scarcely available. They are likely the best way to be assured of the quality of the work and that it adheres to local building codes. Regardless of your choice, it’s always wise to make sure that the help you hire is fully insured for liability, theft, etc., and checks out with an industry or business association (e.g. BBB). As well, all work should be guaranteed in writing, with penalties for unsatisfactory outcomes.

Call me if you have any questions or if I can help. 604-250-4995


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.