Rosalinda Voth | 604-250-4996

Imagine you're viewing a potential new home. You walk in the front door and are instantly impressed. You explore the property room by room and like what you see.

 

Then there's something you notice that's not quite right. An odour. You realize that it's likely cat dander and, now that you've identified it, you smell it everywhere. Suddenly the home doesn't seem as attractive as it did just moments earlier.

 

The owner of the property is probably so used to the smell that he doesn't even notice it. Neither does anyone else in the household.

 

So, when marketing your home for sale, be scent sensitive. Think about the odours that you may have become used to but others are likely to notice. Even odours you think are pleasant, like the strong scent given off by some house plants, may not be pleasing to everyone.

 

An odour can easily distract a buyer from appreciating the good qualities of your property. Pay particular attention to garbage bins (which can smell even when empty), pets, kitty litter (even when fresh and unused), the kitchen (especially after cooking), perfumes, and closets.

 

The smell of cigarette smoke is particularly unpleasant to many people. Its odour can linger even on an outside deck or patio.

 

Bottom line? Don't assume buyers won't notice certain smells. They will.

 

Looking for more advice on selling your home quickly and for the best price? Call today.

Read full post

Like most home products, candles are safe as long as you use them properly. The problem is thinking that as long as a candle doesn't fall over or come into contact with anything flammable, it is okay.

 

However, according to the National Candle Association (candles.org) there's more you can do to ensure candle safety.

 

  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by pets. (Cats can be particularly fascinated by the flickering light.)

 

  • Trim the wick to 1/4 inch before burning. A long wick can cause the candle to drip.

 

  • Don't burn a candle all the way down. At about two inches, put the candle out.
  •  
  • Despite what you see in movies, don’t try to bravely extinguish a candle with your fingers.

 

  • Avoid using a candle during a power outage. Use flashlights instead.

 

  • Never use a candle as a night light next to your bed.

 

And, of course, never leave a candle burning unattended. If you need to leave the room, put the candle out. 

Read full post